LINGUIST 201 Lecture 15: Syntax Morphology Review, Semantics I

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Massachusetts Amherst

Morpheme: -smallest unit of language that can associated with meaning Derivational Affixes -Affixes by means of which one word is formed (derived) from another. The derived word is often of a different lexical category from the original. -In English, derivational affixes are prefixes or suffixes Inflectional Affixes -Express grammatical functions -In English, inflectional affixes are always suffixes Syntax -Procedure for constructing (generating) all and only the well-formed sentences of a language. -Furnished by a finite set of rules. Under generates: A grammar that does not generate all of the grammatical sentences for the data Over generates: A grammar that generates ungrammatical sentences Semantics: -meaning of words -the calculation of the meaning of combinations of meaningful parts Semantic Relations: does the sentence below tell us anything? -The stone broke the window. i. The stone broke ii. The window broke Pragmatics -speaker meaning- what a speaker tends to convey -rules of conversations -examples: I love watching five hour long movies. I loooooove watching five hour movies (sarcastic) Semantic Knowledge -whether a sentence is true or false -when a sentence implies the truth or falsehood of another -whether a sentence is ambiguous Types of Truths -Synthetic truth: -Truth value depends on the states of affairs in the actual world. -Analytic truth: -Truth value can be determined without having to refer to the facts of the world. Examples: -Chris is an only child or has siblings. (Analytic truth) -Chris is an only child or
More Less

Related notes for LINGUIST 201

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.