Natural Resources Conservation
Course
NRC 261
Professor
Todd Fuller
Semester
Spring

Description
Wildlife Ecology Notes Population Demography 13 Feb 2014 NRC 261 If we want to double a population of endangered piping plovers, what should we concentrate on doing and how quickly should we expect results? Reproductive characteristics In order to reduce livestock and game losses, I want to significantly decrease the number of leopards that live on a group of large ranches in southern Africa; how often do I have to trap and how many do I have to catch? Reproductive characteristics- finds out potential of regrowth Population: a group of individuals of a species -Sometimes easy to identify sometimes not so easy/ Meaningful – is it meaningful to discuss to talk about size, growth rates, density, distribution and vital statistics. Comparable-Population can be compared with other populations or in another time its own population. Isolated – largely reproductively isolated from other populations of same species Robins- flock of robins is not a population Snapping turtles- in campus pond is a population. They are reproductively isolated. Mallard ducks- Maybe could because they are inbred ducks. But they do classify routes as a population of species Whooping Crane-Once upon a time the entire species was the population. Today, People have started setting up new migration routes and many populations. Population Dynamics - how and why populations change in numbers and distribution. Brown bats- understanding how they live in different geographic areas helps population dynamics. (all species) Population Change Exponential population growth- Where species continually increase. Steep population curve. No limit on food. Increasing at fast rates unlimited resources and no mortality. But will lead to a crash. Over eat food supply. Mule deer in Arizona- population grew from 5000-100,000 crashed down to 10,000. There was a point where they could not increase because limited resources Caribou/island- 6000-42. Humans- On a exponential growth rate, so could crash or could find out how to support ourselves with limited resources Carrying capacity (K)- S shaped growth. Under normal circumstances logistic growth occurs. Resources and area can only hold so much Logistic population growth -Amount of resources is limited -Reproductive rates levels off -Births=deaths Cyclic population change- Cycling population growth rat
More Less

Related notes for NRC 261

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit