PSYCH 305 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Motivation, Reward System, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

13 views10 pages

Document Summary

What is motivation: motivation directs behavior, to meet needs i. ii. iii. iv. Survival: work, sleep, eat: toward desired goals i. ii. Reward system: enhances cognitive processing i. a. If you care about something, you will pay more attention to it. Extrinsic motivation: doing something to obtain an outcome that is distinct from the activity. Intrinsic motivation: doing something when the reward is the activity itself. Desired feeling states : loved, relatedness, peace, ease, joy, freedom, fun, self-esteem, self-respect, self-determination, autonomy, relaxation, enjoyment, curiosity good grades, college degree, providing for family. Theoretical ideals: being a good person , success . Desired achievements/goals: developing skills, competency, pleasing others, Morality or ethics: right thing to do. Desired objects or experiences: money, car, house, travel. Research shows that students tend to become less intrinsically motivated as they move from elementary grades through middle and high school. Do things to gain rewards and avoid punishment.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers