Humans: just another primate species?
• Would we expect human behaviors to have biological underpinnings?
◦ Yes, because we evolved -- connections between our behavior and ability to reproduce
• If so, how might we identify those connections?
◦ Ubiquitous human behaviors
◦ Behaviors closely linked to reproductive success
◦ Convergent behaviors in similar environments
Evolutionary determinism or behavioral plasticity?
• determined by both
• to what degree can we recognize evolutionary history?
Human mate preference
• can our knowledge of evolutionary theory and primate behavior inform our understanding of human
• Based on evolutionary theory, what qualities in a mate might we predict to be favored by female
• What qualities would we predict males to favor?
In a hunter-gatherer society . . .