CHEM 1062 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Vant (Band), Colligative Properties, Molar Mass

52 views1 pages
31 Mar 2015
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chem 1062: lecture #5 applications of colligative properties and ionic atmospheres. Using colligative properties to find solute molar mass: Each colligative property is proportional to solute concentration. Osmotic pressure is most accurate to find solute molar mass. Psolute = xsolute * po solvent solute. Where both xsolvent and xsolute are mole fractions in liquid phase. Total vapor pressure: ptotal = psolvent + psolute = (xsolvent * po solvent) * (xsolute * po solute) The pressure of each volatile component lowers the vapor pressure of the other. The vapor has a higher mole fraction than the more volatile component. I = (measured value for electrolyte solution)/(expected value for non-electrolyte solution) Vapor pressure lowering: p = i(xsolute * po. Most strong electrolyte solutions are not ideal, i is typically less than the value expected. To explain non-ideal behavior, picture clustered positive ions around negative ions to form an ionic atmosphere of net opposite charge.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers