CNES 1201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Uzziah, Ancient Canaanite Religion

24 views3 pages

Document Summary

Structure: 1-3: marriage a metaphor, 4-14: less unified. Infidelity - political and social turmoil: consequence of peoples" misdeeds, kingship rejected, growing instability. Hosea 1-3: 1:2-9 (biographical, "take for yourself a wife of whoredo(cid:373) , "name him jezreel" (name of city, "name her lo-ruhamah, "name him lo-ammi, "for the land commits great whoredom by forsaking the lord. " "for in a little while i will punish the house of jehu for the blood of jezreel, and i will put an end to the kingdom of the house of israel. " Chapter two: allegory: god = husband, wife = the people of israel, lean towards canaanite religion (baal) Composition of isaiah 1-39: multiple introductions [of characters/people in book, chapters 2-12 tightly set oracles, chapter 1 oracles attributed to isaiah, chapters 13-23 oracles that move through nations. Isaiah 16:13-14 (a prose update: "co(cid:374)(cid:272)er(cid:374)i(cid:374)g moa(cid:271) i(cid:374) the past (cid:271)ut now, telltale sign that an editor has come along and foreshadowed stories.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers