HIST 262 Lecture 12: July 4, 2017, Norwegian History, Vikings in Europe

37 views3 pages
13 Dec 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

England: attack of the great army, under danish leadership, mid-1800s a. i. Alfred the great, king of wessex, 871-899 a. i. 1. a. i. 2. a. i. 3. Gradual retreat of danish-held territory (more accurately described as. 1016 (he was also king of denmark and norway: norse settlement patterns and legacy: b. i. Old english: ic selle the that hors the draegeth mine waegn. b. iv. 2. b. Old norse: ek mun selja ther hrossit er dregr vagn mine. b. iv. 2. c. Modern english: i"ll sell you the horse that pulls my wagon. Ireland: viking market cities (dublin, limerick, etc); shifting alliances and conflicts among local kings: norse kings of dublin, ca. mid 800s-1000s a. i. Formation of hiberno-norse culture; alliances and warfare a. iii. Ireland: continued disunity gradual subjection to england after late 1100s. Vikings in france/germany: charlemagne"s strength, late 700s, early 800s, weakening of carolingian kings and the treaty of. Verdun, 843: repeated destruction of dorestad/frisian trade centers, mid 800s: from periodic seasonal raids to permanent settlement d. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers