POLS 115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Trent Lott, Franking, Gerrymandering

39 views17 pages
5 Nov 2016
School
Course

Document Summary

Each member of the house represents 700 voters. Note: 16% of u. s. population elects of the senate. Republicans benefited from reapportionment for 2012 and 2014 elections. Some facts about the 2014 us house election: 20 of 390 incumbents lost their bid for reelection (5. 1%) Founders believe congress was the most powerful branch of government. Vote for people they no or heard of (cid:862)f(cid:396)a(cid:374)ki(cid:374)g p(cid:396)i(cid:448)ilege(cid:863) Easy to raise money in office than out of office. Bring money back to your state (cid:862)po(cid:396)k sta(cid:396)ts i(cid:374) me(cid:373)phis- trent lott(r-ms) Governor of massachusetts in the early 19th century. Drew oddly shaped districts to benefits candidates who were members of his party. Note on redistricting: state legislatures are required to reapportion seats in the us house after evert census. Texas legislature redrew lines in 2003 to create more republican seats. Colorado also did so to create more republican seats. 6 states have districts drawn by non-partisan commissions (ca voted to establish such a commission in.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers