SOC 110 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Impression Management, Handsfree

42 views2 pages
1 Feb 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Takes time for norms to be created. cell phone in funeral. e. g. handsfree tech for cell phone in car (nonmat. culture trying to catch up) Socialization: is learned, and lifelong, skills, perceptions, agents of socialization: acquisition of self : Theory 1 : looking glass self: sense of self created through social interaction , charles p. cooley. (mirror). Looking-glass self: self derived from perception of others. Creation of self-concept is a process : self -> fluid: imagine how you appear to others, judgement, form some form of judgment with how you think others think of you, evaluation u evaluate that interpretation/judgement. Theory 2: role taking (by george mead): sense of self consisted of i and me. [i] present at birth , develops first, typically irrational, acting self. doesn"t matter how old u are, i still lashes out. Theory 3: goffman"s presentation of self : sense of self depends on social context, interaction dependent upon particular setting. dramaturgy: impression management.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers