HIST 114 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Gender Role, African Americans, Style Guide

29 views2 pages
28 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Race in 19th century america: a broad overview: historical context: failure of reconstruction, post-civil war reconstruction ends by 1876, attitudes in the north towards race. Got tired of the whole issue of race and reconstructing the south b. i. Migration and industrialization, and political problems were new fears. Republican party in the south lost power to democrats b. iii. 1: black codes and lynching c. i. Limited social and economic opportunities for african americans. Laws passed (black codes: historical anxieties, african americans begin to leave southern state. Pushed out by violence and jim crowe laws. 1879 begin to see thousands leave to kansas, iowa, and missouri. Republican party wants them to leave a. i. a. ii. a. iii. Fears of irish immigrants and southern europeans (brought radical political views) Anarchists are stressing americans out b. iii: miscegenation c. i. c. ii. c. iii. Fear that some african americans could pass for whites and visa versa: racial passing d. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers