POLS 100 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Fireside Chats, Hartford Courant, Richmond Examiner

51 views3 pages
11 Apr 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Technological advances in the 1830s/ 1840s reduced the cost of papers and made them accessible to the masses: yellow journalism/muckraking (post civil war) b. i. b. ii. Investigative journalism was less partisan and encouraged trustbusting, child labor laws, regulations, direct election of us senators b. ii. 1. Example: the jungle : the radio era c. i. Immediate; vast audience; powerful; personal; fdr"s fireside chats during the difficult 1930s/ 1940s: the network television era d. i. First, the power of moving pictures d. i. 1. d. i. 2. d. i. 3. The dominance of two or three networks and a standard, daily news cycle centered around the evening news: cable, deregulation, and a 24 hour news cycle e. i. e. ii. e. iii. Hundreds of channels; something for everyone; constant coverage; no need for regulation. The fairness doctrine (stations must present a variety of views) was repealed in 1987. News is ongoing, not confined to 5:30-6:00: the internet and social media f. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers