PSYC 181 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Positron Emission Tomography, Autonomic Nervous System

108 views19 pages
14 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Neuronal structure and function: neurons and the brain, human brain a. i. Glial cells a. ii. 1. a. ii. 2: 3 types of neurons, sensory neurons. Nerve cells arranged in a network send/receive electrical signals. 85-100 billion neurons in the brain a. i. 3. a. a. i. 3. b. Detect stimuli and send signals to the brain (or spinal cord) a. i. 1. Ex: rods and cones, pain receptors: association or interneurons b. i. Receive messages from other neurons, combine them, and pass along the response: motor neurons c. i. Carry signals from cns to muscles, organs: 3 main components of neurons, dendrites a. i. Receive messages from other neurons: cell body (soma) b. i. Combines and processes all incoming signals from dendrites b. i. 1. Contains vital cell structures b. ii. 1. b. ii. 2. nucleus , dna determines cell function. Sends out signals to other neurons, to muscles, or to glands. Electrical activity of neurons: resting potential, neurons, like all cells, have a cell membrane a. i. a. ii. Separates the inside of the cell from the outside.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers