HIST 101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Firmament, Inanna, Fokker E.Ii

38 views2 pages
13 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Mesopotamia and egypt: mesopotamia, large scale irrigation necessary due to arid conditions, strong central authority b. i. b. ii. Lugal - roughly translated to king; they were the sovereign of the independent city-states. The strong central authority oversaw the growth of the infrastructure, economy, and politics in mesopotamia: sumerians established a variety of cities by 3000 bce c. i. Gilgamesh was widely regarded as the founder of the walls of uruk . Lecture: principal themes, understanding literacy and writing in sumer, discussion of aspects of sumerian society and culture, comparison between sumerian and egyptian form of afterlife, mesopotamia, used to be called cradle of civilization a. i. These schools typically used physical discipline extremely frequently: mesopotamian culture, mathematics (base 60,10,6) used for construction and engineering, medicine (blending magic, prescriptions, surgery) grew empirically, birthplace of western astrology/astronomy, polytheists d. i. The gods that they believed in were able to interact with humans: anthropomorphic deities e. i. e. ii. The gods of the underworld: anubis e. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers