PSCI 1040 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Egypt Today, Direct Democracy, Limited Government

56 views7 pages
19 Jun 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Intro to american government and politics: lasswell: who gets what, when, and how , book: how society settles its conflicts, and allocates the resulting benefits and costs. b. i. Who : many actors - individuals, companies, political parties, interest groups, courts, presidents, etc. b. ii. What : many interests - education (public or private), taxes, health care, b. iii. social politics, law and order, defense, etc. How : many :processes to determine - vote, negotiate, court ruling, fight, etc. Government : max weber (1918) : institution in society with monopolies on the legitimate use of political force , refers to military, police, legal system, allows government to maintain order, stop challenges (rebellion, secession) c. i. Although can create distrust and fear : social contract - people allow this because it"s useful, and the alternative is worse. d. i. Anarchy : no rules, constant competition/conflict. ( thomas hobbes) Aristotle : government by the one, few, or many.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers