COMM 1117 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Gettysburg Address

24 views2 pages
Rhetoric and Argumentation
Rhetoric - How ancient philosophers described it, old concept, new users
Aristotle - the ability of a [person, group, society, or culture] in each case to [see, perceive, find]
the available means of persuasion
Rhetorical starting points for argument
Rhetorical starting point 1 -- language interpretation [rsp 32]
People interacting need to negotiate some common strategies for interpreting common language before
argument can occur.
Ex. Mirroring the Gettysburg Address and tets of patioti sogs: Fie soe eas ago, a Geat
Aeia. Let feedo ig.
Ex. Repetitio: Oe huded ea late… I hae a dea… let feedo ig
Rhetorical starting point 2 -- facts [rsp 32-33]
Powerful concepts accepted without controversy AT THE TIME OF THE ARGUMENT. May reflect
considerable experience or knowledge specific to the fact
Ex. Oe huded eas late, the Nego is still ot fee.
o Rhetorical facts unite what most people agree upon as real with what we value and
believe about life in general
Rhetorical starting point 3 -- presumptions [rsp 33-34]
The prejudgments or prejudices that listeners hold about a proposition prior to a debate. Usually a
more broad generalization than a fact.
Religious argument relies on presumptions based on faith
Argument from presumption. One arguer occupies this argumentative ground or position until
sufficient reason dislodges the arguer.
Ex. On the sci-fi TV show Star Trek, Mr. Spock always had the presumption of being logical in his
reasoning
Ex. We a ee e satisfied as log as… I have a dream speech
Ex. We aot e satisfied as log as… – I have a dream speech
Ex. We a ee e satisfied as log as… - I have a dream speech
Rhetorical starting point 4 -- probabilities [rsp 34-35]
Commonly held beliefs about what is likely to happen or what is an ordinary occurrence
Ex. dice symbols of probability
Ex. This selteig sue of ego’s legitiate disotet ill ot pass… – I have a dream
speech
Ex. Will hae a ude aakeig if the atio etus to usiess as usual. Thee ill e eithe
est o tauilit i Aeia util… – I have a dream speech
o Probability: Until legitimate needs are satisfied, violence is likely to continue
Rhetorical starting point 5 -- commonplaces [rsp 35-36]
Argument structure that imitates the way people ordinarily reason or make decisions. Also called topics
or topoi (means a common place or meeting point)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Rhetoric - how ancient philosophers described it, old concept, new users. Aristotle - the ability of a [person, group, society, or culture] in each case to [see, perceive, find] the available means of persuasion. Rhetorical starting point 1 -- language interpretation [rsp 32] People interacting need to negotiate some common strategies for interpreting common language before argument can occur: ex. Mirroring the gettysburg address and te(cid:454)ts of pat(cid:396)ioti(cid:272) so(cid:374)gs: (cid:862)fi(cid:448)e s(cid:272)o(cid:396)e (cid:455)ea(cid:396)s ago, a g(cid:396)eat. Repetitio(cid:374): o(cid:374)e hu(cid:374)d(cid:396)ed (cid:455)ea(cid:396) late(cid:396) i ha(cid:448)e a d(cid:396)ea(cid:373) let f(cid:396)eedo(cid:373) (cid:396)i(cid:374)g. Rhetorical starting point 2 -- facts [rsp 32-33] Powerful concepts accepted without controversy at the time of the argument. Rhetorical starting point 3 -- presumptions [rsp 33-34] The prejudgments or prejudices that listeners hold about a proposition prior to a debate. Usually a more broad generalization than a fact: religious argument relies on presumptions based on faith. One arguer occupies this argumentative ground or position until sufficient reason dislodges the arguer: ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers