COMM 1117 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Heather Mac Donald, Green America

35 views2 pages
Introduction to Argumentation
Argumentation: Communicative process of advancing, supporting, criticizing, and modifying claims, so
that appropriate decision makers, defined by relevant spheres (collections of people making decisions)
may grant or deny adherence
Communicative Process
Arguments assumes that people are talking to each other in a particular situation
E. Usafe “pae Iareratio i Aeria Deate Podast Hadout
Advancing Claims
Putting a claim forward for review and testing
Ex 1. Heather Mac Donald says that incarceration is so high in America because we have a lot of
violent crime compared to other western industrialized countries
Ex. 2 Thaddeus puts forward the claim that we built this massive system to put all those people
away for a log, log tie eause e are so puritaial, eause e thik it’s so terrile to get
high or sell sex
o Because we illegalized drugs, etc. it criminalizes the people who engage in those activities
o We have violence due to these things because of the Black Market because we made all of these
things illegal
Definition of a Claim
Statement you want others to accept and act on (to grant their adherence) and may be linked to
a series of other claims that constitute a case
Claim: you are trying to get people to believe something, you give a statement to bring
everything together
Three various kinds of claims:
o Fact Claim
Certain claims exist in the material world and can be observed
Objective data from reliable sources
Something you can look up and measure
The orld populatio is risig
Yello ad Blue ake gree
America has a significantly higher rate of violent crimes than other
industrialized countries- Heather
o Value Claim
A claim that asserts the quality of a person, place, thing, idea
Making value judgmentcannot be objectively verified
Ca’t proe
Words suh as est orst
Liol as the est presidet
Dogs are etter tha ats
Selling drugs and selling sex is bad- Thaddeus
o Policy Claim
Tells someone how to behave
Should is implicit: rule, laws, regulation
Do’t speed
Go to leture
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Argumentation: communicative process of advancing, supporting, criticizing, and modifying claims, so that appropriate decision makers, defined by relevant spheres (collections of people making decisions) may grant or deny adherence. Communicative process: arguments assumes that people are talking to each other in a particular situation, e(cid:454). (cid:862)u(cid:374)safe pa(cid:272)e i(cid:374)(cid:272)ar(cid:272)eratio(cid:374) i(cid:374) a(cid:373)eri(cid:272)a de(cid:271)ate(cid:863) pod(cid:272)ast ha(cid:374)dout. Advancing claims: putting a claim forward for review and testing, ex 1. Heather mac donald says that incarceration is so high in america because we have a lot of violent crime compared to other western industrialized countries: ex. Statement: what you are heard to say, ex. 1- (cid:862)it"s (cid:374)ot the (cid:272)ase that the u has the sa(cid:373)e (cid:272)ri(cid:373)e rate as other (cid:449)ester(cid:374) i(cid:374)dustrialized countries. We have a lot of violent crime in this country compared to our peers: ex. You want others to accept and act upon: someone should believe or do something in response to the statement, ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers