COMM 1117 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Heather Mac Donald, Civil Rights Movements, Economic Freedom

29 views2 pages
Values in argumentation
Value: conception of the desirable that influences selection from available modes, means & ends of
action
*Some values associated with mass incarceration arguments
Security
Equality
Retribution
Forgiveness
Rehabilitation
Community
Lawfulness
Justice
Why should arguer’s separate alues?
Social scientists in late 19th and early 20th etury ere iterested i figurig out hy people do’t
alays ehae aordig to hat is eooially ratioal I apitalist eooies
*conscientious objectors (person avoiding the draft), working-class voters, Civil rights movements (black
people sitting were it said whites only)
*the oepts of alues helped to oet eliefs ad attitudes ith ug data statistis fro surey
research
Some ways of sorting out values
1. Stated and Implied Values (RSP 121-122)
a. Direct statements of value concepts versus belief statements that can be inferred from
what a person says or does
i. While people in state surveys that all US should be politically equal, there is very
little opposition to the denial of voting rights to ex-felons (the implied value is
retribution or partisanship)
2. Positive and Negative Values (RSP 122)
a. Antitheses (opposites) are common in value concepts.
i. Forgiveness and vengefulness are opposing values that have a long history in
the legal and prison systems
ii. Nelson Mandela and Adolf Hitler
3. Terminal and Instrumental Values (RSP 122-123)
a. ultimate ends -- security
b. ultimate means -- order, justice, lawfulness
4. Abstract and Concrete Values (RSP 124)
a. Ideals of a society as opposed to the qualities of particular people, groups, institutions
or objects
b. Values can be separated into the ideal and the real
i. Equality- all people are equal before the law AS OPPOSED TO
ii. The equalities of particular people, groups, institutions or objects
c. Police should treat black suspects the same as white suspects
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Value: conception of the desirable that influences selection from available modes, means & ends of action. Social scientists in late 19th and early 20th (cid:272)e(cid:374)tury (cid:449)ere i(cid:374)terested i(cid:374) figuri(cid:374)g out (cid:449)hy people do(cid:374)"t al(cid:449)ays (cid:271)eha(cid:448)e a(cid:272)(cid:272)ordi(cid:374)g to (cid:449)hat is (cid:862)e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272)ally ratio(cid:374)al(cid:863) i(cid:374) (cid:272)apitalist e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)ies. *conscientious objectors (person avoiding the draft), working-class voters, civil rights movements (black people sitting were it said whites only) *the (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:272)epts of (cid:862)(cid:448)alues(cid:863) helped to (cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:374)e(cid:272)t (cid:271)eliefs a(cid:374)d attitudes (cid:449)ith (cid:271)ug data statisti(cid:272)s fro(cid:373) sur(cid:448)ey research. Heather mac donald values: security from violence, lawfulness, retribution, puritanism. Connecting values to policy (action) claims: construct value systems. Values: concepts of what is desirable that arguers use, and decision makers understand (page 130) *there"s al(cid:449)ays a(cid:374)other side to a (cid:448)alue/ a(cid:374) opposite/(cid:272)o(cid:374)(cid:448)erse: stated (explicit) vs implied, positive vs negative, ***terminal vs instrumental- gain terminal values through instrumental values, terminal: it"s your e(cid:374)d goal, a comfortable life, happiness, freedom, equality.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers