RELS 3714 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Ethnocentrism, Ethnography, Moral Relativism

40 views2 pages

Document Summary

Anthropology: what makes anthropology different than other principles? a. i. Immersing yourself in their culture, sometimes learn their language a. i. 3. b. Refers to a mindful type of participation a. i. 4. The result of the above 3 methods results in an ethnography a. i. 4. a. A scientific description of individual culture: fieldwork- seek to understand the insider perspective b. i. Insider otherwise known as native point of view b. ii. Emic-within the culture, the pov of someone inside the culture. Etic-outside the culture, pov of someone not participating or within the culture b. iv. The above are commonly used terms in anthropology: how to define religion? c. i. Tylor-focuses on supernatural + how people interact with it. c. i. 2. Durkheim-trying to understand social significance of religion and the distinction between sacred and mundane. c. i. 2. a. You can see something as sacred without being religious c. i. 2. a. i. Ex: national flags, family heirlooms, cemeteries: ambiguities d. i. Durkheim thought an individual can practice magic but it takes a group of people to make religion d. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers