NRS 312 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Nebulizer, Transdermal Patch, Apple Sauce

33 views2 pages
27 May 2018
Department
Course
Professor
Tablet Oral
Compressed disk with medications. Sometimes not dispersed evenly. We cant cut tablets in hald
uless there is a sored lie’
Cutters need to be cleaned and separated from patient to patient due to dangerous side effects
of medications that could be given to other pts.
Call pharmacist if there is a medication you need to give half of if there is no score.
We do’t rush tie release talelts. Eteroi oded aspri. It is eat to pass stoah. It is
coated so it can dissolve slowly. Most common in asprin. Asprin can cause GI bleeding so
crushing it or cutting it in half removes its protective ability.
What would you do?
SR- slow release or sustained release.
XR extended release
LA- long acting
ER- Extended release
CR -continuous release
Como i Parkiso’s eds ad soe oodo ediatios
Pills that have beads inside
Call pharmacist to see if we can do this. There are some capsules that we can open up the
eads iside ithout ruiig hat’s iside. Suggested to put I ith apple saue
Also you can call the provider to see what alternative medication we can give for the pt.
Do’t he the ediatio!!!
Oral medications
Look at where meniscus falls to see if you are at the right doseage
Pour medication at eye level.
Some are given in a syringe.
When you have small amounts (<1ml)or if someone cant swallow pills. Orally given
Measuring liquid
Most are given in medice droppers
Medicine spoon is common for out patients to help measure medication
Topical medications
Local or systemic effect
What’s rog ith the piture? No gloes
Topical medications are highly absorbant
Thicker ointment is absorbed slower. Paste may be given for someone with a heart attack.
Measured by the inch
Gives a systemic effect
Transdermal patch
Medicine in the semi-permiable patch. gradual controlled absorbtion USE GLOVES. Fetynal is
example given over 72 hours
Do’t appl oer sar tissue, hair. Make sure to rotate sides for eah appliatio( preet ski
breakdown). Always remove old one first.
If you have to apply over hairy area, use clippers not a razor.
Do not rub or massage
Lydocaine pathc is a local effect palced directly over painful area.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

We cant cut tablets in hald u(cid:374)less there is a s(cid:272)ored li(cid:374)e". Cutters need to be cleaned and separated from patient to patient due to dangerous side effects of medications that could be given to other pts. Call pharmacist if there is a medication you need to give half of if there is no score. It is (cid:373)ea(cid:374)t to (cid:271)(cid:455)pass sto(cid:373)a(cid:272)h. it is coated so it can dissolve slowly. Asprin can cause gi bleeding so crushing it or cutting it in half removes its protective ability. Cr -continuous release: com(cid:373)o(cid:374) i(cid:374) parki(cid:374)so(cid:374)"s (cid:373)eds a(cid:374)d so(cid:373)e o(cid:454)(cid:455)(cid:272)odo(cid:374) (cid:373)edi(cid:272)atio(cid:374)s. Pills that have beads inside: call pharmacist to see if we can do this. There are some capsules that we can open up the (cid:271)eads i(cid:374)side (cid:449)ithout rui(cid:374)i(cid:374)g (cid:449)hat"s i(cid:374)side. Suggested to put i(cid:374) (cid:449)ith apple sau(cid:272)e: also you can call the provider to see what alternative medication we can give for the pt, do(cid:374)"t (cid:272)he(cid:449) the (cid:373)edi(cid:272)atio(cid:374)!!

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers