BIO 121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Metaphysis, Epiphysis, Endochondral Ossification

24 views5 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 5-osseous tissue: list 4 major components to the skeletal system, skeletal bones, cartilage c. Label figure 5. 2 (b,c) with these structures: describe the functional and structural differences associated with compact and spongy bone, compact bone: a. i. Conducts stress from one end of the long bone to the other end of the long bone a. i. 1. Genrerates tremendous strength from end to end a. ii. Weak strength when stress is applied to the side a. iii. Osteon arrangement is parallel to the bone axis a. iii. 1. Generates tremendous strength from end to end: spongy bone b. i. Trabeculae create strength to deal with stress from the side b. ii. Trabeculae are oriented along the stress lines b. iii. Consists of red marrow: diaphysis (shaft of the long bones) b. i. The medullary cavity of the diaphysis consists of yellow marrow: metaphysis c. i. Narrow growth zone between the epiphysis and the diaphysis: define periosteum and endosteum, periosteum a. i. Isolates and protects the bone from surrounding tissue a. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers