CMD 460 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Speech Disfluency, Critical Role, Cluttering

34 views3 pages
8 Nov 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Group questions fluency: compare/contrast the (cid:498)typical disfluencies(cid:499) vs. disfluencies judged to be (cid:498)stuttering. (cid:499) Stuttering: whole-word repetition (i-i-i want a cookie, interjections (can we-um-go now?, syllable repetitions (i like ba-baseball, revisions (cid:523)(e can"t-he won"t play baseball(cid:524, define (cid:498)primary(cid:499) and (cid:498)secondary(cid:499) stuttering behaviors. Primary goal: the help stutterers acquire a speech style they find to be acceptable. Beliefs: attitudes and feelings about stuttering play a critical role in the development, continuation, and remediation of stuttering. Well-known techniques: cancellation (after stuttering), pull out (during), preparatory set (before) Involve changing the overall speech timing patterns of the individual in an effort to reduce or eliminate stuttering: slower rates of speech, relaxed breathing, easy initiation of sounds, smoother transition b/w words. Stuttering: characterized by an unusually high frequency or duration of repetitions, prolongations, and/or blockages that interrupt the flow of speech, the interruptions are often combined with excessive mental and physical effort to resume talking.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers