Psychology
Course
PSY 301
Professor
Samuel D.Gosling
Semester
Fall

Description
MemoryandtheBrain What is memory?  Facts you know  Skills you learn  Habits or fears you have o Conditioned response  Events you experience o Mentally time travel  Our time machine is the hippocampus  Reactivates memories  the “glue” that binds memories  the “index” to stored memories  Deep in the temporal lobes (in the middle) ** The activity of our cells reacted faster than our actual speech if we were to recall a memory. Henry Molaison: Had amnesic syndrome 1926 – Birth 1942 – Age 16, first major seizure 1953 – Age 27, bilateral medial temporal lobe resection 1955 – Report of pervasive and profound amnesia Memory as a function of serial position: Long term memory  Primary effect Working memory  Recency effect “Every day is alone in itself, whatever joy I’ve had and whatever sorrow I’ve had” – H.M. “Right now I’m wondering. Have I done or said anything amiss? You see, at this moment everything looks clear to me, but what happened just before? That’s what worries me. It’s like waking from a dream; I just don’t remember.” – H.M. Hippocamp
More Less

Related notes for PSY 301

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit