GEOG 131 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Coriolis Force, Northern Hemisphere, Longwave

28 views2 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

1: surface winds blow high to low, are slowed down by friction, and turn to right in. Northern hemisphere: wind = pgf + friction + coriolis effect, coriolis effect, apparent deflection of wind due to earth"s rotation, equator must cover more distance in same amount of time b. i. Counterclockwise around low pressure, to the right of the flow a. ii. Clockwise around high pressure: southern hemisphere b. i. Around high pressure, runs counterclockwise: pressure gradient forces around high pressure and low pressure, low pressure = convergence a. i. Pressure to fill that void, air comes in: high pressure = divergence b. i. Air moved out: force moves from high pressure to low pressure, pgf + coriolis around h and l (n hemisphere, air turns right as it approaches the l (where wind is coming from and going to) a. i. 2: air turns to the right as it leaves the high pressure b. i. Divergence, sinking air: global patterns of air pressure and circulation a.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers