POLS 240 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Brownlow Committee, Executive Functions

19 views2 pages

Document Summary

Includes: omb, council economic advisors, national security council, white house office: cabinet departments, 15 executive departments, headed by secretaries (and attorney general, varies with scope and size defense most employees, hhs largest budget. Independent agencies: estimates range from 60 to 300, structural independence b. i. Typically, anything outside of cabinet or eop b. ii. But also includes commissions and government corporations, which some may not think of as an agency b. ii. 1. Agency = tasked with carrying out laws and policies set by principals (elected officials, policymakers) b. ii. 2. Independent of a department or office directly accountable to president: political independence c. i. Agency and heads and commissioners can only be fired for cause, and do not serve at pleasure of president c. ii. Fixed lengths that overlap with presidential administrations c. iii. Party balance: executive branch components, bureaus a. i. Ex- bureau of motor vehicles, irs, census bureau: field offices b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers