POLS 102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Cloture, Southern Democrats, Nonpartisanism

32 views3 pages

Document Summary

United states government: unique that it is bicameral, but with both having equal power, concern that young-uns in the house would be swayed by popular opinion. So age minimum of 25 for the house, 30 for the senate, and 35 for the presidency: senators elected by state legislatures until 1913, senate is more deliberative d. i. Power for the minority with filibusters, 60 votes needed for cloture (closing debate and agreeing to a vote: to become a law a bill must pass both houses in identical form e. i. Conference committees iron out the differences between the houses: small states are overrepresented in the us system, mavericks- go against party and follows own beliefs g. i. Legislators are more free to vote their will than under most parliamentary. Lincoln -changed war powers, allowed suspension of the writ of habeas corpus. Fdr- attempted to pack the supreme court, changed presidential powers to deal with wwii and the great depression d. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers