Economics
Course
EC 060
Professor
Ross Thompson
Semester
Summer

Description
I. Introduction: Growth, Innovation, Welfare, and the US Economic Slowdown I. What is Capitalism? A. An economic system in which people pursue individual wealth. (characterized by the following) o Competition in free markets  Product Markets  Labor Markets  Capital (financial) Markets  Resource Markets o Decentralized, little gov’t planning o Strong sense of private property/personal ownership o Unit of production=the firm (leads to dynamics of growth)  Goal: make as much profit as possible  Produce for as little cost as possible, sell for as high price as market supports  Employ workers, purchase materials to produce commodities o Income is generated from either sale of products or labor o Growth comes from:  Technological innovation  Lowering cost of production II. What is Human Welfare? A. Health o Life expectancy B. Education o Inherent value o Means to income o Better citizen
More Less

Related notes for EC 060

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit