Political Science
Course
POLS 123
Professor
Frank Bryan
Semester
Spring

Description
Introduction, Genetic Code, & Research Paper Katherine Lapp I. Why Take This Class? Why Vermont? A. Vermont is damn unique- so small, so cold, so unique, so backwards II. Impact of Environment (local culture) on Politics A. Concept that holds lectures together B. *Do political systems have a genetic code, are our beginnings/roots a part of our political identity? * future test question * C. “people raised in the cold are different” D. VERMONTERS: it‟s dark up here  dour personality. We just hope in Vermont for sun, spring, E. Winter begins for a Vermonter on June 21. After that, days just get shorter III. Does this genetic code come from HISTORY and GEOGRAPHY? A. Once elected to Washington from VT, you stay in office until you die. You‟ll never be defeated 1. This is why we haven‟t sent a woman to DC IV. Research Paper- pick a town A. Empirical, not conceptual  research-heavy. B. Under 2,500 population C. Subtitle=From the ground up (Milton: from the ground up) D. Chapters: 1. Introduction: one page summarizing what you intend to do, how you did it, and what you found 2. Part I: Geophysical Setting (10%)  Begins with geology of town soil type, etc 3. Part II: TOWN in Context of Human History (40%)  History of town (micro chasm of VT history)  1792-1845 (include native americans)  1846-1952  1953-present 4. Part III: TOWN in the Modern Period (1953-pres) (40%)  Socio-Economic Structure (start from 1950, emphasize current period).  Political/Partizan Structure (state level/representative democracy)  Political/Partisan Structure (Local Level/Real Democracy) 5. Part IV: Conclusion: Newbury in the Context of the Leapfrog Theory (10%) E. Comments on how town fits into topics covered by lectures 1. Ex: breakthrough of VDP in VT lecture, talk about how your town participated in & was impacted by this. F. The best papers 1. Include interviews 2. Multiple visits 3. Town Meeting/Public Hearing attendance 4. Town Hall Research 5. Town Clerk Interview 6. Include footnotes, thorough citations 7. Special Collections 8. Will use 2010 census data Resuming the Lecture: V. A Casual Narrative of Vermont‟s Civil Society A. Glacier: 1. Left hills, fields of rocks B. Mountains: 1. “pockets of communities between hills” C. Soil: 1. Alkaline good for clover & grass, which is ideal for grazing animals D. Hills: 1. separate small, fertile pastures & family farms  Subsistent Dairy Farms E. Agricultural Enterprise 1. Family farms 2. Preserved by the “republic”- one town, one vote. F. Dairy Cows: 1. Like pasture G. Individuals & Humanity= Freedom & Unity: 1. model of fundamental capitalism 2. writing a book, How Vermont Can Save America on how centralism is just ruining everything.  This reminds me of a quote from the reading:  The key is scale: difference between large-scale agribusiness and small, VT farms  Capacity to make change on a „human scale‟ 3. *The Vermont Oxymoron= “Freedom and Unity” * future test question *  You have to give up freedom to be unified. H. Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine= Optimal Climate this needs supplementing from audionotes 1. Just too cold, too far north 2. Provided a cocoon of geography of hist
More Less

Related notes for POLS 123

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit