SOC 001 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Symbolic Interactionism, Pragmatism, Behaviorism

11 views2 pages

Document Summary

There can be no self apart from social interaction. Symbolic interaction requires we imagine how others perceive us (reflexivity) The self emerges from this process and requires a social language. Focus on the interaction between the actor and the world. People and the world are dynamic processes, not static structures. A social act is being able to take the perspective of others towards an object. Human activity is the criterion of truth. The mind is not separate from the body. The mind is a dynamic ongoing social process; it is emergent . Language allows us to be both subject ( i ) and object ( me ) Language allows us to have internal conversation, i. e, to think. Maturity = a socially grounded ability to engage in the world with others. School - national values, timeliness, (social) class legitimation. Workplace - where we spend most of our adult lives. Media and technology - more time with technology, less time with ppl.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers