ANTHRO 104 Lecture Notes - Lecture 21: H-1B Visa, World Economy, Immigration

29 views4 pages
29 Mar 2016
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Who picked your strawberries: most come from hispanic immigrant workers (91% born in mexico, 99% of ca farm workers are laino/laina, 33% are migrants, 86% are internaional shutle migrants) Migraion is an essenial component of the human experience. Make immigraion more diicult; ex: need passport, ciizenship test, visa, new culture, don"t speak the language: remitances money sent home from migrant workers; 5% of egypt"s naional income and 2% of mexico"s naional income, cumulaive causaion. Who are today"s migrants: labor immigrants. Majority of modern migrants; unskilled workers trying to ind basic jobs (i. e. chinese immigrants working in chinese restaurants; lainos working in hotel) Loss of this type of immigrant is bad (i. e. shortage of doctors and teachers in. Greater access to inancial resources: entrepreneurial immigrants. Do have skill sets and some economic background. Can successfully open businesses; oten serve immigrant community and other minority communiies: refugees. Forced to leave their home (i. e. oppression; violence; war)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers