ANTHRO 105 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Orangutan, Stereoscopy, Binocular Vision

40 views4 pages

Document Summary

What makes a primate a primate? (lecture 9/16/15) General skeleton of a primate: cranial skeleton the head. Sensing the environment: eye sockets, nose. Primate teeth- all primates have the same kind of teeth: incisors (i), canines (c), premolars (p), molars (m, dental formula, i-c-p-m (upper, i-c-p-m (lower) Apes & old world monkeys 2-1-2-3 and 2-1-2- Houses the brain: postcranial skeleton composed of everything else. Locomotion: limb types, clingers and leapers (i. e. lemur) Long legs, short arms: suspensory- brachiation (i. e. orangutan) Short legs, long arms: terrestrial quadrupeds (i. e. baboon) Ribs: long front and back limbs. Traits that all primates have in common- mammalian: fur, four limbs, give birth to live young, nurse w/ their own milk. Primate characteristics that separate primates from other mammals: grasping hands and feet, mobile joints, opposable thumbs, various degrees of opposability, i. e. spider monkeys lack an external thumb, precise and powerful grip, precision grip- grabbing smaller objects w/ fingers.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers