COM ARTS 200 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Web 2.0, Cyberculture, Participatory Media

41 views3 pages

Document Summary

Two theories: the gutenberg parenthesis (thomas petit, the vernacular web (rob glenn howard) *when doing reading for class focus on abstract and ending* Oral culture: particular period from invention of language too recently. Culture to base in writing based in speech folktale, and songs. Passed on in this way: everyone is participating. Manuscript culture: most people are not literate, came in 10th century. Only literate people are elites and those who needed to be. Mass media: exposure of print culture, in 40s and up. Oral culture has been the most prominent form of spreading news. I both oral and digital culture everyone participates whereas in print and mass media it s a select few. I both digital and oral culture the idea is less about ownership. Institutional: official organizations (i. e. corporations, mass media, and government): have official rules. Laws, rules, preferred used of items. i. e. federal, university, retail stores. Common vernacular: multiplicity of voices speaking in non-institutional spaces.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers