HISTORY 115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Pope Leo Iii, Merovingian Dynasty, Arianism

46 views4 pages

Document Summary

Clovis continued to fight with his neighbors. First frank who became christian in the late fifth century. Clovis: if you [jesus christ] will give me victory over my enemies then i will believe in you and i will be baptized in your name. (gregory of tours) I find it hard to go on seeing these arians [visigoths] occupy a part of gaul . One of the neighbors he fought with were the visigoths. The visigoths had converted into christianity before the frank. Visigoths converted into arianism because their emperor was. Charles martel or charles the hammer (684-741) If it were not for charles martel"s valor, we would all be wearing. It was an invasion. turbans. (traditional interpretation) New interpretation: ethnic, and racial interests of western european peoples. Muslim army was not destroyed, but looted its way back to spain. Charles martel: mostly fought against other christians. It was not an invasion. it was a raid. (successful raid)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers