PSYCH 202 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Major Depressive Episode, Bipolar I Disorder, Psychomotor Retardation

57 views18 pages

Document Summary

Introduction to psychopathological conditions of adulthood and their treatment. The value and danger of labels--categorization and psychiatric diagnosis: It is all about labeling and understanding and diagnosing facilitates professional communication. Lingo is learned and spreaded (communicated) leads to shorthand description, rich with implicative meaning. What they are communicating about contains emotional, cognitions (short hand descriptions) that implies a lot about the person and what they might do in the future and what they might have done in the past. Once you get a brief diagnostic, you have a small ball park to be able to estimate past and future. Can trick us into thinking we understand when we don"t. Think they understand the full depth of it but it is just a diagnosis. The diagnosis is just the tip of the iceberg. What not to do: *while reading this chapter saying oh that"s my mom thats me . Can stigmatize and lead to self-fulfilling prophesies.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers