ECON 201 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Opportunity Cost

55 views2 pages
14 Nov 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Principle 5 trade can make everyone better off. Trade is often blamed for problems in society. But imagine a world in which families had to produce its own food or supplies. China has taken away a lot of jobs and industries in america. Main effect has been to reduce opportunity cost of goods now produced in china. China is obtaining the goods more cheaply it gets from the u. s. Families of those jobs lost to china or other countries have been hurt. How we respond to these families is an open policy question. Putting up barriers to trade is a very inefficient response. The invisible hand adam smith in the wealth of nations. All of us trying to use our gifts for our own benefit makes society better. I(cid:374)(cid:448)isi(cid:271)le ha(cid:374)d is leadi(cid:374)g so(cid:272)iety to a(cid:374) effi(cid:272)ie(cid:374)t out(cid:272)o(cid:373)e (cid:271)y a(cid:272)ti(cid:374)g i(cid:374) ea(cid:272)h other"s o(cid:449)(cid:374) i(cid:374)terests. Principle 6 markets are usually a good way to organize economic activity.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers