ARCH 3115 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Medieval University, Groin Vault, Clerestory

39 views4 pages

Document Summary

Imperial church of charlemagne | aachen, germany | 792 - 805 ce translation + storage of important ancient texts. Proposed ideal benedictine monastery plan found at the monastery of st. gall | Every diocese has a bishop, every bishop has a cathedral. Crac de chevaliers | syria | 1142 ce i. After the crusades there is a mixture of culture and introduction of new ideas. Raphael, the school of athens | 1508 - 11 ce i. Scholasticism - the system of theology and philosophy taught in medieval european universities, based on aristotelian logic and the writings of the early church fathers and having a strong emphasis on tradition and dogma. European population grows | 1000 - 1350 ce. Saint-sernin | toulouse, france |1080 - 1120 ce a. b. c. Romanesque pilgrimage road churches i. chevet - the apsidal eastern termination of a church choir typically having a surrounding ambulatory that opens onto a number of radiating apses or chapels.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers