M E 4210 Lecture 1: ME 4210_Lecture #01_F2014

17 views17 pages

Document Summary

Course overview and policies: refer to separate handouts of course outline, syllabus, and hw. Heat transfer applications [ 1. 6]1: residential heating and air-conditioning, walls and pipes insulation, vehicle passenger compartment heating and air-conditioning . Thermal definitions: thermodynamics, the relationship between thermal energy and work of a system, it is described by the initial and end states of the system as it undergoes a conversion process. 1 [ x. x] refers to the corresponding section number a in the textbook. There are 3 basic modes (i. e. , mechanisms) of heat conduction, convection, and radiation. transfer: Conduction: transfer of energy due to molecular interactions of solids or stationary fluids, which occurs in stationary mediums. Convection: energy transfer by the bulk motion of the fluid, which may involve heated or cooled surfaces. Radiation: energy emitted by matter through electromagnetic waves, which may involve heat exchange between surfaces. It requires no medium to transfer; i. e. , can occur in vacuum.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers