SOC 102 Lecture 1: chapter 1 social problems

58 views4 pages
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 1 the sociological approach to social problems (12th ed) History of social problems theory (p. 8: historically social problems thought of as social situations that a large number of observers felt were inappropriate and needed remedying a. i. Early us sociologists used medical model to analyze society and assess any. Pathology : sociologists used universal criteria of normality b. i. Assume that social problems resulted from bad people b. i. 1. I. e. , maladjusted people who were abnormal b/c of various conditions b. ii. Assumed the basic norms of society are universally held b. ii. 1. Thus, viewed social problems as behaviors that disturb the moral order: 1920s-1930s focus on conditions of society that fostered problems c. i. Societies undergoing dramatic and rapid change were viewed as having pockets of social disorganization c. i. 1. Cities with most rapid change had disproportionately high rates of crime, family breakdowns, mental disorders, etc: past few decades study of problem individuals d. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers