Political Science Pol Sci 3403 Lecture Notes - Lecture 30: War Powers Resolution

14 views1 pages

Document Summary

War and national emergencies: constitution as an invitation to struggle, the powers of congress and the president during wartime are very mixed a. i. Formalist would say the president can"t commit troops without the permission of congress once the troops are committed, the president has authority to regulate the troops a. ii. Allows the president to introduce us troops under 3 conditions: b. i. 1. b. i. 2. b. i. 3. If there"s a national emergency created by attack upon the. Us, its territories, or armed forces must terminate within 60 days unless extended by congress b. ii. Designed to constrain the president"s power but a lot of debate whether it"s actually a constraint because it authorizes the president to use military force at his discretion (where the constitution doesn"t say he could) b. iii. Big question: can congress take its constitutional responsibility to authorize war and delegate that power (with guidelines) to the.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers