MGMT2100 Study Guide - Final Guide: Best Alternative To A Negotiated Agreement, Negotiation, Problem Solving

67 views3 pages
21 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Negotiation and Conflict Management
Negotiation - a process in which two or more parties exchange goods or services and attempt to agree
upon the exchange rate for them.
Negotiation occurs for several reasons:
o To agree on how to share or divide a limited resource.
o To create something new that neither party could attain on his or her own.
o To resolve a problem or dispute between the parties.
Bargaining
Characteristic
Distributive Bargaining
Integrative Bargaining
Goal
Get as much as possible
Expand the pie so that both parties are
satisfied
Motivation
Win-lose
Win-win
Focus
Positio I at go eod this poit o
this issue
Iterests Ca ou eplai h this issue is
so iportat to ou?
Information
Sharing
Low will only allow the other party to
take advantage
High will allow each party to find ways to
satisfy interests of each party
Duration of
Relationship
Short-term
Long-term
Negotiation Process
Positive bargaining range when there is overlap between the aspiration ranges of the two parties.
Negative bargaining range when there is no overlap between the aspiration ranges of the two
parties.
Characteristics of Distributive Bargaining
Situation includes:
o Starting points initial offer should allow for concession making.
o Target points
o Resistance point - reservation point/walkaway point
o Alternative options - BATNA Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement
The Role of Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA)
Alternatives give the negotiator power to walk away from the negotiation.
If alternatives are attractive, negotiators can: set their goals higher and make fewer concessions.
If there are no attractive alternatives: negotiators have much less bargaining power.
Keys to the Distributive Bargaining Strategies
Push for settleet ear oppoets resistae poit.
Get the other party to change their resistance point.
If settlement range is negative, either:
o Get the other side to change their resistance point
o Modify your own resistance point
Convince the other party that the settlement is the best possible solution.
Guard information carefully only give information to the other party when it provides a strategic
advantage.
When engaged in distributive bargaining, research consistently shows one of the best things you can
do is make the first offer, and make it an aggressive one.
Another distributive bargaining tactic is revealing a deadline.
Integrative Bargaining
Integrative strategy is an open, sharing, and a creative process.
o It is fie to share eah others BATNAs leads to less extreme resistance points, more
concessions and a bigger resource pie).
Integrative negotiation is NOT wrapping a competitive strategy in a friendly package.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Positio(cid:374) (cid:894)(cid:862)i (cid:272)a(cid:374)(cid:859)t go (cid:271)e(cid:455)o(cid:374)d this poi(cid:374)t o(cid:374) this issue(cid:863)(cid:895) Low will only allow the other party to take advantage. Expand the pie so that both parties are satisfied. I(cid:374)terests (cid:894)(cid:862)ca(cid:374) (cid:455)ou e(cid:454)plai(cid:374) (cid:449)h(cid:455) this issue is so i(cid:373)porta(cid:374)t to (cid:455)ou? (cid:863)(cid:895) High will allow each party to find ways to satisfy interests of each party. Positive bargaining range when there is overlap between the aspiration ranges of the two parties: negative bargaining range when there is no overlap between the aspiration ranges of the two parties. Starting points initial offer should allow for concession making: target points, resistance point - reservation point/walkaway point, alternative options - batna best alternative to a negotiated agreement. The role of alternative to a negotiated agreement (batna: alternatives give the negotiator power to walk away from the negotiation. If alternatives are attractive, negotiators can: set their goals higher and make fewer concessions. If there are no attractive alternatives: negotiators have much less bargaining power.