HNN227 Study Guide - Final Guide: Sputum, Exudate, Pleurisy

143 views6 pages
HNN227
INFECTION AND PNEUMONIA
DEFINE THE TERM INFECTION
- Infection: infection occurs when a pathogen (a microorganism that causes disease) invades the
body, begin to multiply and produce disease, usually causing harm to the host.
DESCRIBE THE PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF THE INFECTIVE PROCESS AND IDENTIFY WHERE IT
MAY OCCUR IN THE BODY
PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF INFECTION:
Invasion by most microorganisms begins when they adhere to ells i a persos ody. Adheree to the
cell allows microorganism to establish a base from which to invade tissues.
Whether the microorganism creates a severe infection or spreads or not is dependent on whether it
produces toxins/enzymes/other substances or not, whether it develops resistance to antimicrobial drugs,
hether it a lok the odys defee ehaiss ad ho ell the persos iue syste is
functioning.
After invading the body, microorganisms must multiply to cause infection. After multiplication begins, one
of three things can happen:
1. Microorganisms continue to ultiply ad oerhel the odys defees
2. A state of balance is achieved causing a chronic infection
3. The body destroys and eliminates the microorganism
How ateria esape our ody’s defence mechanism:
Interfering with the bodies production of antibodies (T cells)
Being enclosed in protective outer coats (capsules) that prevent WBC from ingesting
microorganisms
Resisting being split open
Producing substances that counter the effects of antibiotics (beta-lactamase)
Produe a layer of slie alled iofil that helps the attah to ells ad reduces their risk of
being killed by antibiotics
How the body defends itself:
PHYSICAL BARRIERS INCLUDE: Skin, mucous membranes, tears and earwax
IMMUNE SYSTEM: uses WBC and antibodies to identify and eliminate microorganisms that get through the
odys physial arriers. It ireases the uer of ertai types of WBC eutrophils ad ooytes,
which engulf and destroy invading microorganisms. The blood carries these to the site of infection.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
The immune system may also produce killer T cells and antibodies. Antibodies attach to an immobilised
microorganism and destroy them.
Inflammation is the next line of defence, and fever is another defence mechanism.
Bacteria or viruses can cause infection. Bacteria can be treated with antibiotics (however antimicrobial
resistance is occurring). Viruses are harder to destroy as they hide in the cells away from antibodies.
Antiviral drugs are infective against only a few viruses (HIV for example).
Infections can be systemic or local.
CHAIN OF INFECTION:
- Aetiological Agent: This is the extent to which any micro-organism is capable of producing an
infectious process depends on the number of micro-organisms present, the virulence and
pathogenicity, the ability of the micro-organism to enter the body, the susceptibility of the host and
the ability of the micro-orgaiss to lie i the hosts ody. E.g.
bacteria, virus, fungi, parasites,
prion
- Reservoir: there are many reservoirs or sources for microorganisms. Common sources are other
huas, the idiiduals o iroorgais, plants, animals and the general environment. E.g
Human back of mouth, Environment dust, soil, water
- Portal of exit from reservoir: before an infection can establish itself in a host, the microorganisms
must leave the reservoir.
E.g. Respiratory tract, GI tract, skin (open wound).
- Method of transmission:
Contact transmission: Direct contact (person to person), indirect contact (inanimate object eg.
hilds toy), droplet contact (coughing, sneezing)
Common vehicle route: Food, water, drugs, blood HEP B
Airborne transmission: Droplet nuclei evaporated droplets that remain suspended in the air,
dust particles containing agent
Vector-borne transmission: Mechanical or biological spread flies, mosquitoes
- Portal of entry to the susceptible host: before a person can become infected, micro-organisms
must enter the body. The skin is a barrier to infectious agents; however, any break in the skin can
readily serve as a portal of entry.
E.g. Respiratory tract, GI tract, break in skin, trans placental
(mother to baby), conjunctiva
- Susceptible host: ay perso at risk for ifetio. Ipairet of the odys iue syste,
integumentary system and other biological factors increase susceptibility.
WHERE IT MAY OCCUR IN THE BODY:
Respiratory tract, GI tract, breaks in the skin, conjunctiva, brain, bone etc.
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Infection: infection occurs when a pathogen (a microorganism that causes disease) invades the body, begin to multiply and produce disease, usually causing harm to the host. Describe the pathophysiology of the infective process and identify where it. Invasion by most microorganisms begins when they adhere to (cid:272)ells i(cid:374) a perso(cid:374)(cid:859)s (cid:271)ody. Adhere(cid:374)(cid:272)e to the cell allows microorganism to establish a base from which to invade tissues. After invading the body, microorganisms must multiply to cause infection. After multiplication begins, one of three things can happen: microorganisms continue to (cid:373)ultiply a(cid:374)d o(cid:448)er(cid:449)hel(cid:373) the (cid:271)ody(cid:859)s defe(cid:374)(cid:272)es, a state of balance is achieved causing a chronic infection, the body destroys and eliminates the microorganism. Physical barriers include: skin, mucous membranes, tears and earwax. Immune system: uses wbc and antibodies to identify and eliminate microorganisms that get through the (cid:271)ody(cid:859)s physi(cid:272)al (cid:271)arriers. It i(cid:374)(cid:272)reases the (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)er of (cid:272)ertai(cid:374) types of wbc (cid:894)(cid:374)eutrophils a(cid:374)d (cid:373)o(cid:374)o(cid:272)ytes(cid:895), which engulf and destroy invading microorganisms.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers