CHEM1101 Midterm: State Functions

71 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor
State Functions
• Usually e hae o ay of koig the iteral eergy of a syste; fidig that alue is
simply too complex a problem.
• Hoeer, e do ko that the iteral eergy of a syste is idepedet of the path y
which the system
achieved that state.
In the system
below, the water
could have reached
room temperature
from either
direction.
Therefore, internal energy is a state function.
• It depeds oly o the preset state of the syste, ot o the
path by which the system arrived at that state.
• Ad so, DE depeds oly o Eiitial ad Efial.
However, q and w are not state functions.
• Whether the attery is shorted out or is disharged y ruig
the fan, its DE is the same.
But q and w are different in the two cases
Work
Usually in an open container the only work done is by a gas pushing on the surroundings (or
by the surroundings pushing on the gas).
We can measure the work done by the gas if the reaction is done in a vessel that has been
fitted with a piston (see below image for piston set up):
 = −PDV
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

In the system below, the water could have reached room temperature from either direction. Therefore, internal energy is a state function: it depe(cid:374)ds o(cid:374)ly o(cid:374) the prese(cid:374)t state of the syste(cid:373), (cid:374)ot o(cid:374) the path by which the system arrived at that state, a(cid:374)d so, de depe(cid:374)ds o(cid:374)ly o(cid:374) ei(cid:374)itial a(cid:374)d efi(cid:374)al. However, q and w are not state functions: whether the (cid:271)attery is shorted out or is dis(cid:272)harged (cid:271)y ru(cid:374)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g the fan, its de is the same. But q and w are different in the two cases. Usually in an open container the only work done is by a gas pushing on the surroundings (or by the surroundings pushing on the gas). We can measure the work done by the gas if the reaction is done in a vessel that has been fitted with a piston (see below image for piston set up): (cid:449) = pdv.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers