MGMT2100 Study Guide - Final Guide: Fundamental Attribution Error, Selective Perception

66 views3 pages
21 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Delivering Bad News
Difficult Conversations
Types of Difficult Conversations
Negative performance appraisals
Disciplinary actions
Layoffs
Pay cuts
Denying requests
Introduction of organisational policies that are perceived negatively by employees
Why is it hard to deliver bad news?
Anticipated unpleasantness
Emotions: fear, guilt, shame, anger
Defensive behaviour
High levels of stress
Lack of communication skills
Demanding and stressful work conditions (leads to win-lose framing of issues)
Common Mistake when Communicating in Difficult Situations
Framing the situation or decision in a way that is too narrow (not considering alternative) and binary
(win-lose).
Refusing to change the frame during interaction.
Not listening and/or selective perception.
Not paying attention to non-verbal cues.
Fundamental Attribution Error (correspondence bias) desies the tede fo osees to
attiute othe peoples ehaiou to iteal o dispositioal fatos ad to dopla situatioal
causes.
Why do we commit errors in framing?
Fundamental attribution error (leads to overly simplistic interpretations).
Subconscious mindsets that lead to binary framing.
False consensus effect (assuming that others see a situation as we see it).
Stress
What
to
do?
Erasing in
The manager recognises a situation/problem, crafts a solution, and then asks the
employee a set of carefully crafted questions to help them reach the same conclusions.
Problem:
o The manager might not get the answers he/she seeks.
o The manager is only prepared fo the oet ases.
Actionable Feedback
Think about the other side why might they have said/done something.
Consider alternate explanations
While its easy to complain/state there is a problem you should try to offer up a solution
and steps on how this could be done.
What may be the consequences of your suggestion/advice if they really did it.
What
not
to
to?
What ot to do…
Avoid
Go ehid a pesos ak
Behave in a way that suggests everything is ok and then suddenly give a negative message.
Use social media to deliver bad news.
Crafting Negative Messages
Consider your purpose thoroughly.
Identify and gather information your audience requires in order to understand and accept the
message.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Types of difficult conversations: negative performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, denying requests. Introduction of organisational policies that are perceived negatively by employees. Why is it hard to deliver bad news: anticipated unpleasantness, defensive behaviour, high levels of stress, demanding and stressful work conditions (leads to win-lose framing of issues) Framing the situation or decision in a way that is too narrow (not considering alternative) and binary (win-lose): refusing to change the frame during interaction, not listening and/or selective perception, not paying attention to non-verbal cues. Fundamental attribution error (correspondence bias) des(cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:271)es the te(cid:374)de(cid:374)(cid:272)(cid:455) fo(cid:396) o(cid:271)se(cid:396)(cid:448)e(cid:396)(cid:859)s to att(cid:396)i(cid:271)ute othe(cid:396) people(cid:859)s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iou(cid:396) to i(cid:374)te(cid:396)(cid:374)al o(cid:396) dispositio(cid:374)al fa(cid:272)to(cid:396)s a(cid:374)d to do(cid:449)(cid:374)pla(cid:455) situatio(cid:374)al causes. Fundamental attribution error (leads to overly simplistic interpretations). False consensus effect (assuming that others see a situation as we see it). The manager recognises a situation/problem, crafts a solution, and then asks the employee a set of carefully crafted questions to help them reach the same conclusions.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers