PSYC2002 Study Guide - Final Guide: Explicit Memory, Exponential Growth, Language Delay

51 views4 pages
21 May 2018
School
Department
Course
Professor
Cognitive Development II
i) Information Processing Approach
IP approach invokes computer metaphor to explain cognition - development is the process of expanding
capacity (i.e. hardware: memory, processing speed) and acquiring more efficient and complex
processing routines (i.e. software: programs that perform operations for a specific purpose, eg:
statistics).
Key feature of the approach is the domain-specific explanation of cognitive processes.
Cognitive processes are defined procedurally (in the way in which they're done) and we then study each
component step in the procedure.
IP approach described development as changes at different crucial points in a given cognitive process,
and development can theoretically be observed at any step, eg: access to LTM.
Memory Development
Three aspects of memory - encoding, storage and retrieval.
Two ways of accessing memory - recognition and recall.
Infants can't say that they recognise something - we need clever methods to measure memory
development.
Habituation-dishabituation procedure
o Infants become disinterested upon repeated stimulus presentation, eg: a photo.
o If children have encoded stimulus there should be a change in behaviour following
presentation of a different stimulus.
Operant conditioning
Eg: Baby (2mo+) kicks foot, which moves mobile via ribbon. Once children learns S-R relationship, the
mobile can be changed to study object recognition (novelty effects).
Responses to toys can be measured over time delays (hours, days, week).
Memory in
Infancy
We don't seem to have any explicit autobiographical memories from the first 2 years of our life. But we
are capable of forming (auditory) memories even in the womb.
Newborns also appear primed to learn aspects of their sensory environment (visual, auditory, tactile).
Newborn memory for visual objects might only last seconds.
Length of retention increases sharply with age, eg: 3 months: memory for visual stimuli can last for 3
months, 5 months: encode faces following brief exposure (5-10 sec). For mobile: operant conditioning
procedure: 2mo: remember up to 3 days, 6 mo: 21 days.
It seems that infants may not actually forget, but have trouble with retrieval.
In operant conditioning procedure, if experimenter models ribbon-pulling, infants reactivate memory
and resume foot kicking.
Memory in
Childhood
The development of language coincides with sharp increases in memory capacity, eg: WM span
increases, from a span of 3 at 3yrs to 7 in adolescence/adulthood.
General increases in capacity and processing speed (i.e. hardware), can explain some of this
improvement.
But other processes also contribute: i) strategies, and ii) knowledge.
Three types of strategies:
1. Rehearsal of information - repeating material to oneself, eg: Keeney et al. (1967) - space
helmet experiment: 5yo rehearsed less than 10yo.
2. Organisation - grouping items remembered into meaningful clusters. Strategies change across
development: young children - phonological similarity, eg: rhyme: fish, dish, plate, cup, middle
childhood: semantic categories
3. Elaboration - standard mnemonic strategies, eg: associations of concepts.
Knowledge
Expertise changes the way that information is represented, and the speed with which it is accessed.
Prototypical case: language acquisition (initially slow, then exponential growth).
Eg: Chi (1978): 10yo chess buffs vs college novices 10 yo recalled chess positions better than adults.
Adults better on serial recall of numbers.
Cultural Experience
Many traditional Australian Aboriginal cultures have adapted to vast arid environments largely devoid
of landmarks.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in