Department
Business and Law
Course Code
MLL221
Professor
Jean Du Pleiss
Study Guide
Final

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 21 pages of the document.
Corporate Law Topic Eight
Understand the nature of the statutory director duty to prevent insolvent trading
S 588G:
A director is under a duty to prevent the company incurring debts if there are reasonable grounds for
suspecting that it is insolvent.
Purpose:
Encourage directors to carry out their duties properly if the company is at or approaching insolvency, and
provides a sanction if they fail to do so.
Edwards v ASIC [2009]
WHO OWES THE DUTY:
Directors only
Duty to prevent insolvent trading imposed only on Directors
De facto director
Someone who acts as director even if they have not been validly appointed
Shadow director
Someone whose instructions the other directors are accustomed to follow
A company may be a shadow director
Note, s.V iposes a statuto dut o a paet opa ot to hae its
subsidiary trade while insolvent
find more resources at oneclass.com
Does not apply to other Officers
WHAT TYPES OF DEBTS CAN BE INCURRED?
Deemed debts
When company takes action listed in s.GA the opa is deeed to hae iued a det
Also, certain payment to ATO deemed to be debt for purpose of s.588G (s.588F).
paying a dividend
making a reduction of share capital to which Division 1 of Part 2J.1 applies;
buying back shares;
redeeming redeemable preference shares that are redeemable at its option;
issuing redeemable preference shares that are redeemable otherwise than at its option;
financially assisting a person to acquire shares in itself or a holding company;
entering into an uncommercial transaction (within the meaning of s 588FB).
Debt is an obligation by one person to pay a sum to another.
Principles:
Debt must be for a specific amount
Debt can be contingent
Generally, debt must be incurred voluntarily
E.g. Company contracts with Supplier to buy goods or services on credit terms
Debt is the obligation to pay price at the agreed time for payment
WHEN IS A COMPANY INSOLVENT?
Section 95A
Company is insolvent if it is unable to pay all its debts, as and when they became due for payment
Based on a cash flow test
Not determined on basis of surplus assets over liabilities
Powell v Fryer [2001]
The olusio of isole ust e deied fo a pope osideatio of the Copas fiaial
position, in its entirety, ased o oeial ealit… ‘egad should e had ot ol to the Copas ash
resources immediately available, but also to moneys which it can procure by realization by sale, or borrowing
against the security of its assets, or otherwise reasonably raise from those associated with, or supportive of,
it.
REBUTTABLE PRESUMPTIONS OF INSOLVENCY:
Continuing Insolvency
Where Company being wound up and it is proved that Company was insolvent at a particular time
during the 12 months prior to the winding up application date, presumed that Company remained
insolvent thereafter
Useful because only need prove Company was insolvent on one occasion in 12 month period prior to
winding up
s.588E(3)
Failure to keep or retain adequate financial records
Where Company fails to keep or retain financial records for period required under s.286, Company is
presumed to be insolvent for period it was in contravention
Reason: Overcome difficulties of proving insolvency in absence of proper accounting records
S.588E(4)
WHAT ARE REASONABLE GROUNDS FOR SUSPECTING INSOLVENCY?
What are reasonable grounds?
Reasonable grounds for suspecting insolvency arise when a director of ordinary competence who is capable of
haig a asi udestadig of the opas fiaial status ould suspect insolvency
Expect
Suspect

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Corporate Law Topic Eight Understand the nature of the statutory director duty to prevent insolvent trading S 588G: A director is under a duty to prevent the company incurring debts if there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that it is insolvent. Purpose: Encourage directors to carry out their duties properly if the company is at or approaching insolvency, and provides a sanction if they fail to do so. Edwards v ASIC [2009] WHO OWES THE DUTY: Directors only Duty to prevent insolvent trading imposed only on Directors De facto director Someone who acts as director even if they have not been validly appointed Shadow director Someone whose instructions the other directors are accustomed to follow A company may be a shadow director Note, s.588V imposes a statutory duty on a parent company not to have its subsidiary trade while insolvent
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit