SY 1001:03 Study Guide - Final Guide: Auguste Comte, Scientific Revolution, Harold Garfinkel

134 views4 pages
15 May 2018
Department
Professor
SY1001 EXAM STUDY NOTES
Sociology the systematic study of human behaviour in social context
Social Structures stable patterns of social relations
Agency a idiidual o olletie ailit to ifluee oes o life ad to ifluee soiet
Microstructures patterns of intimate social relations formed during face-to-face interaction. (E.g. family, friendship circles and work associations)
Macrostructures oeahig pattes of soial elatios that lie outside oes ile of itiates ad acquaintances (Include: classes, bureaucracies and power systems)
Global structures patterns of social relations that lie above the national level (Include: international organisations, patterns of worldwide travel and communications, and
economic relations between countries)
Social Imagination Charles Wright Mills
Sociological Imagination is the quality of mind that enables one to see the connection between personal troubles and social structures
ORIGINS OF SOCIAL IMAGINATION:
1. The Scientific Revolution (Europe, 1550) encouraged the view that sound conclusions about the workings of society must be based on solid evidence, not just
speculation
2. The Democratic Revolution (US & France, 1750) suggested that people organise society and that human intervention can therefore resolve social problems
3. The Industrial Revolution (Britain, 1780s) rapid economic transformation that involved the large-scale application of science and technology to industrial
processes, the creation of factories and the formation of a working class
Auguste Comte coined the term sociology
Research the process of carefully observing reality to assess the validity of a theory
The Research Cycle: Formulate a question > Review existing research > Design research project > Conduct research > Analyse data > Write up findings
Validity the degree to which a measure actually measures what it is intended to measure
Reliability the degree to which a measurement procedure yields consistent results
When reading any research findings, we must ask three questions:
1. Would another researcher interpret or measure things in the same way?
2. Are the researcher’s interpretations accurate?
3. Do the research findings apply beyond the specific case examined?
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in