Philosophy (107)
PHIL 1500 (5)

PHIL 1500 - 3.docx

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Carleton University
PHIL 1500
Jay Drydyk

PHIL 1500P Contemporary Moral, Social, & Religious Issues Fall Lecture 3 What makes some arguments better than others? Agenda: - How arguments go wrong - Implausible premises - Weak connections - Repairing arguments How Arguments Go Wrong  STRUCTURE. Weak connected of premises to conclusion  FOUNDATIONS. Premises implausible (not believable) Implausible Premises - Plausibility of Premises  A claim is plausible if we have good reason to believe it is true  A claim is less plausible if we do not have or have less good reason to believe it’s true - Two types of reason to accept, or reject, premises  Ex: Brothers are male siblings, and Sue once told me that Pat is her brother, so Pat must be a guy. Brothers are male is logic. Told me that is evidence. - Types of Evidence  Reliable personal experience. This means the person was in a position to clearly perceive what happened and that the same person has clear recollection of this memory.  Reliable testimony. This means that sources are able to know what they are talking about (Eyewitness, experience over time, expert knowledge, or public organizations that do any of the above) and there is no reason to doubt their honesty.  Common knowledge (Ex: Earth is not flat. Few people live to 100. There is a city called “London” in England.) - The “Balance of Reasons” Approach is when you mist compare each claim with the contradictory claim. If the balance of reasons say it is true then a claim is plausible.  Ex. Premise: Every organism on Earth has a genetic code. This is a reliable testimony: Biology, as taught in schools, which screen for reliable science. Contradictory claim: Some organism on Earth does not have a genetic code. This contradicts a well-confirmed theoretical principle of biology. Weak Connections - Logical Connections - Type 1 – “valid”.  Impossible: premises true + conclusion false  Premises steer us to the conclusion  Accepting the premises me
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1500

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.