Lecture 6 - final review.docx

2 Pages

Department
Biochem & Molecular Biology
Course Code
BIOC 2300
Professor
Dr.Carmichael Wallace

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Lecture 6
Oxidation/reduction
Oxidation loss of electrons
O I L R I G oxidation is the loss of electrons, reduction is the gain of electrons
Managing electrons
- Two prominent coenzymes accept electrons (BECOME REDUCED) and transfer them to
O2
oNicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) – requires niacin(acquired in the diet)
oFlavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) – requires riboflavin (acquired in the diet)
oAlso, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP+) carries electrons but
its role is mainly in reductive biosynthesis
Oxidation-reduction reactions
- In living organisms, energy-capturing and energy-releasing processes involve redox
reactions
- Many redox reactions have both an electron and a proton transferred
oNAD+ accepts a proton and two electrons to become NADH
oFAD accepts 2 protons and 2 electrons to become FADH2
- Conversion of pyruvate and NADH to lactate and NAD+ is under anaerobic conditions
Redox Potential of Redox Reactions
- We can determine the reduction potential of a component’s half reactions
o∆E° = E°(e- acceptor) - E°(e- donor)
oWhen ∆E° is POSITIVE ∆G° is NEGATIVE SO the reaction is SPONTANEOUS
oRelationship of standard reduction potentials (∆E°) and standard free energy
(∆G°) is  ∆G°’ = -nF∆E°’
Electrons flow spontaneously from a species with a more negative E°’ to a
species with a more positive E°’

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 6 Oxidation/reduction Oxidation loss of electrons O I L R I G oxidation is the loss of electrons, reduction is the gain of electrons Managing electrons - Two prominent coenzymes accept electrons (BECOME REDUCED) and transfer them to O 2 o Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD ) – requires niacin(acquired in the diet) o Flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD) – requires riboflavin (acquired in the diet) o Also, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADP ) carries electrons but its role is mainly in reductive biosynthesis Oxidation-reduction reactions - In living organisms, energy-capturing and energy-releasing processes involve redox reactions - Many redox reactions have both an electron and a proton transferred o NAD+ accepts a proton and two electrons to become NADH o F
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit