PSYC 1001- Final Exam Guide - Comprehensive Notes for the exam ( 44 pages long!)

106 views44 pages
30 Nov 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Define language, how we learn language and the brain areas involved in. Describe how thought and language are related. Describe research on thinking, problem solving, decision making and metacognition. A set of symbols used for communication. Facilitates thinking, problem solving, and decision making. Speech - the expression of language through sound. I. e. we speak spanish, but do not speak asl. ** language and speech are not the same thing. I. e. lions roar but do not make any other sounds to communicate. Do not have different phenomes like humans do. Human languages are generative - we make new sentences. You can say the same thing a million different ways: i hate nursing. There are endless possibilities & we come up with our own sentences when communicating with one another. Depends who you speak to - some say animals have language, some disagree. The structured and conventional expression of thoughts thoughts -> words = language.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers