Biology
Course
BIOL 1070
Professor
Wright& Newmaster
Semester
Winter

Description
The Stakeholders (Again) This week you will hear more from the various stakeholders who have concerns about this development. They will share with you their respective claims regarding the biodiversity in each of the three woodlots. You can gather this information and use it to begin to build a concept map of the knowledge you have gained for all three woodlots. This will help in making your final decision about which woodlots should be protected, and which one should be developed. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ms. Fields — Environmental Consultant “The cold stream water from the Old Field Woodlot is the purest stream water in southern Ontario and home to many species of fish. The bird diversity is highest in the Old Field Woodlot, followed by Majestic Pine woods and the lowest in the Maple Ridge Woods.” -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ms. Flowerpot — Environmentalist “The beauty and serenity of Majestic Pine Woods has intrinsic value to the people in this city. Maple Ridge Woods is home to many birds and we have established many bird feeders that are cared for by the local community neighbourhoods. The Old Field Woods is home to many pesky skunks and racoons that get into our composters and garbage boxes!” -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr. Stumpage — Forester “The basal area is low in the Old Field Woodlot, and it is dominated by a diverse shrub physiognomy. The basal area is high in both the Majestic Pine woods and the Maple Ridge Woods, which have dominant tree physiognomies. We aged the woodlots using increment bores and counted the tree rings: Old Field Woodlot is 20 years old, Majestic Pine woods is only 80 years old (rich soils make big happy trees) and the Maple Ridge Woods is 250 years old.” -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr. Woods — Conservation Officer “Alpha diversity is highest in the Old Field Woodlot, followed by the Majestic Pine woods and least in the Maple Ridge Woods. Beta diversity is low between Majestic Pine woods and Maple Ridge Woods. Beta diversity is high when comparing the Old Field Woodlot to either Majestic Pine woods or Maple Ridge Woods.” -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mr. Burnz — Developer “We support sustainable management of biodiversity and will support woodlot management plans that enhance woodlot biodiversity. This will include a restoration plan that will plant key species in each of the woodlots in collaboration with community groups. We would also like to support and enhance community bird feeder programs in each of the woodlots.” -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- YOU — Biology Intern “What do I know about the biodiversity in each of the three woodlots? I can use this information to help inform my decision.” More Key Concepts and Terms: Unit 5 Population Growth: Population growth is defined as the change in the number of individuals during some period of time. This is calculated using demographic data; population growth rate = birth rate – death rate + immigration – emigration. The calculation of population size is expressed as Pt2 = Pt1 + (B) – (D) + (I) – (E), where Pt2 is the final population at the final time, Pt1 is the original or starting population size, B is the number of births, D is the number of deaths, I is the number of immigrants, and E is the number of emigrants. Carrying capacity: Carrying capacity is defined as the number of individuals that can be survive on the available resources within a given area. The carrying capacity for any landscape area is not fixed as it can be altered by disturbances that deplete resources. The depletion of resources is often accompanied by a decrease in pop
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1070

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit