BIOM 3090 Study Guide - Midterm Guide: Choline Acetyltransferase, Intraocular Pressure, BethanecholExam
SchoolUniversity of Guelph
Course CodeBIOM 3090
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
1. Which one of the following statements about the autonomic nervous system is FALSE?
a. Monoamine oxidase metabolizes norepinephrine
b. Acetylcholine is synthesized by the enzyme choline acetyltransferase
c. Activation of the sympathetic nervous system stimulates the secretion of
epinephrine from the adrenal gland
d. All parasympathetic postganglionic neurons release acetylcholine
e. Activation of M2 receptors increases the rate and force of contraction of the heart
2. Which one of the following statements about autonomic drugs is TRUE?
a. Bethanechol is used to reduce the motility of the stomach or intestines
b. Epinephrine administration will contract smooth muscle in the bronchi
c. Dobutamine is an α2 receptor antagonist
d. Pilocarpine administration decreases blood pressure
e. Administration of muscarine will contract skeletal muscle
3. Which one of the following is an effect of a beta receptor antagonist?
a. Skeletal muscle contraction
b. Decreased heart rate
d. Increased intraocular pressure
e. Pupil dilation
4. Which one of the following is an expected effect of a therapeutic dose of clonidine?
a. Decreased cAMP in presynaptic nerve terminals
b. Decreased DAG in intestinal smooth muscle
c. Increased cAMP in cardiac muscle cells
d. Increased cAMP in cells of the salivary gland
e. Increased EDRF release from endothelial cells that line blood vessels
5. Which one of the following acts as a direct agonist at both nicotinic and muscarinic
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version